Students enrolled in the YMCA’s Power Scholars Academy spent a day learning about biology in OCC’s Ferrante Hall. The students rotated through five classrooms where they engaged in hands-on learning activities with OCC professors. Lesson topics included:
- Human skeleton with professor Emily Gardner.
- DNA with Professor Leslie Lane.
- Benefits of house plants with Professor Peter Kraai.
- Aquatic insects with Professor Justin Fiene.
- Survey of animal diversity and how to use microscopes with Professor MaryAnn Page.
YMCA Power Scholar Academy students in grades 3, 4 and 5 came to the campus from the East Syracuse Minoa and Syracuse City School Districts. A photo slideshow can be viewed below.