They keep every corner of the 280 acre campus and each of the dozen buildings in tip-top shape. When bad weather closes school, they are the “essential employees” who come to work. They are members of Onondaga Community College’s Facilities Team and they are the winners of the first-ever “Believe Award.”
The Facilities Team was recognized during the Employee Appreciation ceremony, held May 22 in the Gordon Student Center Great Room. Vice President of Finance Sarah Gaffney presented the group with the award. “This is a great group of people I have had the pleasure of getting to know and know firsthand how hard and tirelessly they work. They remind me of the slogan the U.S. Postal Service used at one time: ‘Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.”
During the Employee Appreciation ceremony the winners of the Ann Felton Multicultural Leadership Awards were announced. The award is given annually to faculty and staff who have demonstrated continuous leadership in displaying an appreciation of diversity, equity, and respect for all people, as did Ann Felton. She was a long-time faculty member who became the first Director of Multicultural Resources at OCC. The awards were presented by Chief Diversity Officer Eunice Williams to Dr. Fairlie Firari, Dr. Glenda Gross, and Sharon Hill. Following those presentations, OCC President Dr. Casey Crabill stepped to the podium and surprised Williams by presenting her with an Ann Felton Multicultural Leadership Award.
Onondaga Community College’s Board of Trustees voted to reward several employees for their service. They were also recognized at the ceremony:
- Art Peterson, Chair of Applied Energy Technology, received the Ralph R. Whitney Jr. Award. Recipients are selected based on accomplishment that contribute to high quality academic programs, recruitment, retention and success, as well as other initiatives that benefit the College and Central New York community. The award comes with a $500 scholarship which can be given to a student or students.
- David Bzdak, Social Sciences & Philosophy, Matt Burr, Enrollment Development & Communications, and Sally Luton, Student Accounts, each received a Trustee Award. These are bestowed annually upon select faculty, administrators, staff and students in recognition of extraordinary service and remarkable contributions to the College’s mission and strategic goals.
- The team recipient for the Trustee Award was faculty in the Hospitality Management major: Lesley Brooks-Bianchi, Deb Schneider, Courtney Stees, and James Taylor.
During commencement the SUNY Chancellor’s Awards for Excellence were presented. They provide system-wide recognition for consistently superior professional achievement and encourage the ongoing pursuit of excellence. The 2019 recipients were:
- Carolyn Bice, Excellence in Teaching
- Mary Ellen Faughnan-Kenien, Excellence in Adjunct Teaching
- Christian Heisler, Excellence in Faculty Service
- Nicole Hotaling, Excellence in Adjunct Teaching
- Oksana Korol, Excellence in Teaching
- Kelly Larrivey, Excellence in Professional Service
- Kristen Lounsbery, Excellence in Teaching
- Dana Marzynski, Excellence in Classified Service
- Jennifer Naples, Excellence in Professional Service
- Buffy Quinn, Excellence in Teaching
- Christopher Thuot, Excellence in Faculty Service
Congratulations to all of the honorees and thank you for everything you do!