Hey guys, we’ve officially made it to the last month of classes. Finals are right around the corner, so make sure to study hard and play fast, and what better way to relax than to check out one of the ASL and Deaf History Month events this week? Remember, Final Exams start on Wednesday, May 15th, so crack open a textbook and get to reading!
April’s Maker Challenge is in celebration of National Library Week. Come down to the Makerspace to create a library-themed Lego masterpiece, or share a photo of your creation on Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #OCCmakers. All entries received by April 29th will be entered into a drawing for an iTunes or Google Play gift card.
Monday, April 15, 2019
11:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Gordon Great Room, SUNY’s Got Your Back
- Students, faculty, staff, and community members are invited to come down and create comfort kits for the victims and survivors of violence, and learn methods of better prevention and response to violence.
11:15 AM – 12:30 PM, Coulter C204, PTK General Meeting
- All current and newly invited members are invited to join the general meeting.
11:15 AM – 12:15 PM, Mawhinney M104, Presentation: Is There An Interpreter In Your Classroom?
- Questions will be answered on the expectations of teachers, students, and interpreters when there are deaf or otherwise hearing impaired students in the classroom. ASL-English interpretation will be provided.
Attention: All applications for the Rob Edson Scholarship Award for Leadership and Excellence are due on Monday, April 15th, 2019.
Wednesday, April 17, 2019
11:15 AM – 12:30 PM, Coulter C204, PTK Member Fellowship Event
- A potluck lunch for every member to enjoy. Please bring a dish if possible and come for a good time with your fellow members. Restricted to PTK membership only.
11:15 AM – 12:15 PM, Coulter C340C, 3D Printer Certification Workshop
- As a part of the Spring 2019 Makerspace events, come get certified with the wonderful technology of 3D printing! Co-sponsored with the Office of Student Leadership and Engagement.
11:15 AM – 12:15 PM, Mawhinney Fishbowl, ASL Lunch
- Lunch will be served in recognition of ASL and Deaf History month.
Thursday, April 18, 2019
6:00 PM – 8:30 PM, Mawhinney M245, Family ASL Movie Night: “Legend of the Mountain Man” (PG)
- Bring the family to watch an all-Deaf movie! Subtitled for non-signing audience members.
Friday, April 19, 2019
6:00 PM – 9:00 PM, Fairmount Panera Bread, Deaf Coffee Chat
- Socialize with members of the Deaf community and fellow ASL students.
Saturday, April 20, 2019
1:00 PM, Chuck Wilber Field, Lazers for the Cure: OCC Lazers vs Hudson Valley CC
- The Onondaga Men’s Lacrosse team will be hosting the first annual “Lazers for the Cure” event to benefit the Carol Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Fund. The vent will include raffle baskets and a 50/50 drawing.