Onondaga Community College’s chapter of international honor society Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) was recently honored with both statewide and national recognition for excellence. The list of honors includes:
PTK National Awards
- Distinguished Chapter Award. This is given to the top 35 chapters out of 1,300 nationwide.
- Distinguished College Project. This is awarded to the top 25 projects in the country.
- OCC’s PTK chapter, which is known as Alpha Sigma Zeta, is also listed among the top 100 in the nation.
PTK New York State Awards
- Most Distinguished Chapter In New York – Second Runner-Up
- Most Distinguished College Project in New York – Winner
- Most Distinguished Honors In Action Project – Winner
- Honors In action: Theme 1 – Myth and Reality – First place
- Digital Media Award – Second Runner-Up
- Phi Theta Kappa Programming Awareness Award – First Place
- Leadership Award – Second Runner-up
- Community Service Award – First place
- Fellowship Award – First Runner-up
Several OCC students who are PTK members earned statewide honors during the 2017-18 academic year.
- Matthew Honeywell and Giavanna Sylvester were named to the All-New York State team.
- All five of the College’s SUNY Chancellor’s Awards for Student Excellence winners were PTK members: Blake Carter, Ifrah Hassan, Matthew Honeywell, Hien Lam and Fabrizio Tucci.
OCC’s chapter of Phi Theta Kappa inducted more than 300 new members during the 2017-18 academic year. Student’s must achieve a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 with a minimum 12 credits earned to be invited.
Dr. Annie Tuttle is OCC’s Faculty Advisor. Under the leadership of Dr. Tuttle along with Advisors Jackie Barstow, Maria Malagisi and Stephanie Putman, OCC’s chapter experienced record growth. “We are so proud of the work that our students do to grow as servant leaders and scholars,” said Dr. Tuttle. “The work that our chapter does helps make both our campus stronger and community better! Our members truly make a difference and we are beyond thrilled that they are being recognized as one of the top chapters of Phi Theta Kappa. These awards are a testament to their hard work and dedication.”
Dr. Tuttle also serves as New York Regional Coordinator. It was named a 5-Star Region this year which is the highest designation possible. The Region also won two national awards:
- Regional Award for Excellence in Chapter Engagement
- Regional Award for Membership Recruitment
OCC will host the next Regional Convention in March 2018.
Congratulations to all of the students and faculty leaders who have made OCC’s PTK chapter among the finest in the nation!