Five former students have been named 2017 “Alumni Faces” honorees for their professional achievements and contributions to the college and the community. They will be honored for their accomplishments during an induction ceremony Wednesday, November 1 at 5:30 p.m. in the Academic II building’s Recital Hall. The honorees are:
John D. “JD” DelVecchio, ‘79
- Major: Radio & Television (now Electronic Media Communications)
- Profession: Television Director for live sports events
- High School: Corcoran, class of 1977
JD DelVecchio is an Emmy award-winning television sports director who has overseen coverage of some of the world’s biggest sporting events. Today he works for the Golf Channel. His resume includes Olympic Games, College Football, Saturday Night Live, David Letterman and the Cosby Show.
Deirdre N. Hunter, Ph.D., ‘02
- Major: Engineering Science
- Profession: Professor of Engineering
- High School: Jersey Village High School in Houston, class of 1998
Dr. Deirdre Hunter fell in love with science and engineering while working on cars with her father in his auto repair business. She earned degrees from OCC, Syracuse University and Virginia Tech. She was one of the few women in her educational field and received many accolades for her research. Today she is a Lecturer of Engineering Design at Rice University in Houston.
Marthe Ngwashi, Esq., ‘03
- Major: Business Administration
- Profession: Lawyer
- High School: Nottingham High School, class of 1994
After earning her associate degree at OCC and her bachelor’s at SUNY Empire State College, Marthe Ngwashi worked in the State Attorney General’s Office where co-workers encouraged her to pursue a law degree. She took their advice and today practices law in her firm, Ngwashi & Associates PLLC in Buffalo.
Edward M. Riley
- Major: Architectural Technology
- Profession: Developer
- High School: Christian Brothers Academy, class of 1972
Ed Riley is a nationally renowned developer. In 2016 he completed one of the hallmark projects of his career when he restored the old Hotel Syracuse. It reopened in August 2016 as the Marriott Syracuse Downtown.
Janet H. Riley, ‘74
- Major: Nursing
- Profession: Registered Nurse
- High School: Bishop Ludden, class of 1972
Janet Riley was a Registered Nurse at Crouse Irving Memorial Hospital, a Triage Nurse at Syracuse University Health Center and held several nursing and management positions at SUNY Upstate Health & Science Center prior to her retirement.
Congratulations to our Class of 2017! You can see a list of Alumni Faces honorees here.