Five OCC students will receive SUNY Chancellor’s Awards for Student Excellence April 5 in Albany. The awards will be presented by SUNY Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher during a ceremony in the Empire State Plaza Convention Center.
Honorees demonstrated the ability to combine academic excellence with other accomplishments which may include leadership, campus involvement, athletics, career achievement, community service or creative performing arts. OCC’s honorees are all members of international honor society Phi Theta Kappa.
- Hometown: Johannesburg, South Africa
- Major at OCC: General Studies with an Honors minor
- Adams works at a refugee center three nights a week and is the head teacher for a class of middle school-aged girls. She plans to transfer and double major in International Relations and Political Science. She wants to become a lawyer who advocates for refugees.
- Hometown: Oswego. Earned her GED in 1999.
- Major at OCC: Humanities & Social Sciences with minors in Honors and Women’s Studies.
- Flewelling is a 34-year-old mother who will transfer to Syracuse University. She will pursue a bachelor’s in Public Health with a minor in Medical Anthropology.
- High School: Sandy Creek, Class of 2008
- Majors at OCC: Nuclear Technology and Electrical Engineering Technology
- Haskins is in training as an equipment operator at Nine Mile Point. She plans to become a licensed reactor operator.
- High School: Fayetteville-Manlius, Class of 2015
- Major at OCC: Liberal Arts & Sciences – Humanities + Social Sciences with an Honors minor
- Hoffman intends to transfer to SUNY Geneseo, pursue a bachelor’s in American History and a master’s in Education.
- High School: Mexico, Class of 2007
- Major at OCC: Mathematics & Science
- Witherell plans to transfer to SUNY Upstate Medical University and pursue a degree in Medical Imaging Science/Radiography.
Congratulations to our five SUNY Chancellor’s Awards for Student Excellence winners!