A tasty series of nighttime cooking and wine classes are coming to OCC’s main campus. Classes begin in late April and run through early June.
Pasta & Wine
- Monday, April 24, 2017 • 5:30-9 p.m. • $50
- Course number FSA.CE-027
- This hands-on class will expand or introduce you to the technique of making homemade pasta dough. Participants will create classic dishes like Pasta Carbonara and Pollo Cannelloni with an Alfredo sauce, as well as some new age dishes like Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe and Butternut Squash Ravioli with Sage Brown Butter. Join us for a night in Rome with Chef Madison Keehfus. A delicious bottle of Moscadello di Montalcino will accompany the meal. Mangia! Class size limited to 16 students. Couples discount available.
Brick Oven Pizza & Vino!
- Friday, April 28, 2017 • 5:30-9 p.m. • $35
- Course number FSA.CE-028
- Learn the methods of creating brick oven pizzas with your own hands. We’ll start by learning to make thin-crusted pizzas. While the dough is rising we will discuss best baking techniques and prepare various pizza toppings for Traditional Pizza Margherita (tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella), Pizza Bianca (ricotta, mozzarella, Parmigiano Reggiano, and Gorgonzola), New York Style Pizza (sausage, pepperoni, onion, green pepper, black olives), Smoked Salmon Pizza (smoked salmon, Boursin cheese, capers, red onion, and chives), and Pesto Pizza (prosciutto, roasted red peppers, fresh garden pesto, and fresh mozzarella). This special evening with Chef James Taylor includes wine and Caesar salad. Class size limited to 16 students.
International Cooking & Wine Pairing – French Cooking
- Monday, May 1, 2017 • 5:30-9 p.m. • $50
- Course number FSA.CE-023
- Explore French cuisine and prepare various traditional dishes such as Mushroom and Chicken Vol au Vent, Coq au Vine, Alsacian Onion Tart and Tarte Tatin. The class will dine together and sample wines that pair well with each course. Class size limited to 16 students. Couples discount available.
- Wednesday May 3, Wednesday May 17 and Wednesday May 31 • 7 – 8:30 p.m. • $90
- Course number FSA.CE-025
- In this three-session class, students will learn about different characteristics of wine varietals and taste four to five wines. Each class lesson will build upon the previous class.
- Class size limited to 24 students. Couples discount available.
- Instructors are Allison and Dale Record, former owners of “The Savvy Wine Cellar” in Camillus
May 3: How to Taste Wines Like a Pro
- Take away the “mystery” of tasting wines and help class participants understand their palates and wine knowledge are actually much better than they believe. Learn about aromas and flavor characteristics of white wines and red wines, the proper techniques for opening, pouring and storing wines and how to order wine in a restaurant. Taste wines “blind” and guess the wine with the big “reveal” at the end of the class.
May 17: White Wine Basics
- Learn the major white wine varietals, discuss varietal characteristics, growing regions, vineyard practices, oak aging versus stainless steel and price points. Class will include wine tasting.
May 31: Red Wine Basics
- Participants learn major red wine varietals, discuss varietal characteristics, growing regions, vineyard practices, oak aging versus stainless steel versus blending and price points. Class will include wine tasting.
Pairing Wine with Food
- Wednesday, June 7 • 7 – 8:30 p.m. • $45
- Course number FSA.CE-024
- Building upon the Wine Basics class, we take students through the fundamentals of pairing wine with food. Taste your way through six wine styles and how they pair with food, focusing on cheese and charcuterie. Note: food provided in this class is for educational sampling and is not intended to be a full meal. Class size limited to 24 students. Couples discount available.
- Instructors: Allison and Dale Record, former owners of “The Savvy Wine Cellar” in Camillus.
Bundle Wine Basics and Pairing Wine with Food and receive a $5.00 tuition discount on Pairing Wine with Food class!
Must be 21 years or older to enroll in a class.
Contact OCC’s Lifelong Learning at (315) 498-6000 or email@example.com for details.
Registration accepted by mail, email or fax at (315) 498-2400.