Syracuse School District graduates have completed another outstanding Summer Success Academy at OCC! The program is designed to give students the foundation they need to succeed in college.
During the intensive five-week session they earn college credits, become acclimated to the college environment and participate in team-building exercises. Students also meet successful alumni during Career Panel discussions and participate in Service Learning activities at the Ronald McDonald House and OCC’s food pantry.
Students found the Summer Success Academy to be invaluable:
- “Each week we learned different things like time management and studying skills. It really prepared us for the fall semester. The staff here was so amazing and supportive.” -Amar Alziadi, Corcoran class of 2016, will attend OCC
- “I liked it a lot. I met a lot of new people here. Everything I did I enjoyed and learned from it.” -John DaCosta, Nottingham class of 2016, will major in Marketing at SUNY Oswego
- “The Summer Success Academy gave us a great head start on college.” -Samaria Watts, Corcoran class of 2016, will major in Biology at SUNY Cortland
- “I learned how to manage my time better. I really struggled with that in high school.” -Zeriah Turner, Corcoran class of 2016, will major in Accounting at OCC
- “This was really enjoyable. There was always someone to help you with whatever you were working on. It was a great experience.” -Danielle Lang, Corcoran class of 2016, will major in Athletic Training at SUNY Cortland
OCC’s Summer Success Academy would not be possible without the generosity of Bank of America and the Community Foundation. Bank of America supported the program with $10,000 in funding. The Community Foundation contributed $50,000 to the program’s success.
The Summer Success Academy is presented in partnership with On Point for College and the Hillside Work Scholarship program.