Five Onondaga Community College employees received the “2016 YWCA Champion of Opportunity Award.” They were honored April 21 at a luncheon held at SKY Armory in downtown Syracuse. OCC’s honorees were:
- Paul Aviles, English Professor and Tutor
- Dr. Glenda Gross, Sociology Professor
- Pete Patnode, Criminal Justice Professor
- Jamie Sindell, English Professor and Chairperson of English/Reading/Communication
- Denise Reid-Strachan, Financial Aid Administrator
The awards are bestowed upon individuals who embody and defend the values of justice, peace, dignity and equality, are actively leading or participating in programs that embrace and promote equity, equality, diversity and inclusion, conduct work that supports opportunities for women’s growth and leadership and/or works or advocates for the creation of opportunities for professionals of color, within Central New York.
The luncheon was emceed by OCC Professional Communication Professor Mark Muhammad. The keynote speaker was Melanie Littlejohn. Ms. Littlejohn is Regional Executive Director for National Grid and a member of OCC’s Board of Trustees.