OCC’s Celebration of Success was held Thursday, April 7 in the SRC Arena and Events Center. The annual event provides student scholarship recipients the opportunity to share their success stories with College supporters.
Three students stepped to the podium, told their unique stories and thanked OCC’s Foundation for its support.
- Latoya Simpson is a Nursing major who will graduate next month. She earned her degree while commuting from Buffalo. Simpson was the recipient of the Mary Porcari Brady Nursing Support Scholarship. “When I realized I had received the scholarship I said to myself, ‘LaToya, you’re about to see your dreams come true.’ I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you to the OCC Nursing department faculty and staff for always believing in me and equipping me with the tools necessary for greatness in my professional life.”
- Karim Abdel-Razek discussed his journey from Egypt to Central New York where he graduated from Syracuse’s Nottingham High School on his way to OCC. One year ago he earned a degree in Architectural Technology. He’s about to complete work toward his Engineering Science degree. He also earned his Green Card. “Thank you to everyone who has been there for me. Thank you to the OCC Foundation and generous donors who help make students dreams a reality.”
- Jamel McMullin, Jr. began to envision success in his life both personally and academically during his time on campus. He went from OCC to the University at Buffalo to Syracuse University where he is now pursuing a master’s degree. “For a kid from the south side of Syracuse who grew up without a father in my life, if I can be here today doing some of the things I’m doing I want you to know you can be whatever you want to be. You can do whatever you want to do. All you have to do is believe it and picture it in your mind.”
The Celebration of Success was masterfully emceed by WSYR TV, Newschannel 9 Anchor and Managing Editor Dan Cummings. The OCC Singers performed throughout the event under the direction of Dr. David Rudari. They were accompanied by Professor Katherine Ciarelli.
Event speakers included OCC President Dr. Casey Crabill, OCC Foundation Board Chair James F. Holland of SRC, Inc. and OCC Board of Trustees Chair Allen J. Naples.
The Celebration of Success was sponsored by:
- Diamond level – M&T Bank
- Gold level – American Food & Vending, MVP Health Care
- Silver level – Learn As You Grow Child Care Center, Bottar Leone Attorneys
- Bronze level – SRC, International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental and Reinforcing Ironworkers, Visual Technologies
- Copper level – appel osborne landscape architecture, INFICON, One Group, Research & Marketing Strategies Inc.
For more information on how you can make a difference in the life of a student contact the OCC Foundation at (315) 498-6060 or firstname.lastname@example.org.