OCC students spent part of a beautiful fall day working to make the community a better place. They took part in the Onondaga Day of Service Friday, October 23. The event was held in the Allyn Hall Gym. Students teamed up to make items for people including:
- Holiday bags for the Food Bank of Central New York.
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the Samaritan Center.
- Thanksgiving cards for recipients of Meals on Wheels of Syracuse.
- Welcome baskets for the Chadwick Residence.
- Birthday cards for residents of the Van Duyn Center.
Mike Phelps, a freshman from Corcoran High School, participated in community service activities in the gym before heading outside and helping clean up litter. “Campus life is key,” Phelps said. “We’re up here all the time. Why shouldn’t we give back to what we enjoy every day?”
The Day of Service also included a coat and professional dress clothing drive, along with a collection of canned food for OCC’s Food Pantry.
OCC’s Day of Service was a team effort. It included 102 student volunteers and 18 College employees.